If this post seems oddly succinct it’s because someone asked me to provide my top suggestions for networking. In writing out some notes & then talking about it, I was able to distill it into a short list.
#1. Meet people as people first.
- I’ve said it before, but it’s worth the risk – put yourself out there!
- Pay attention to the dynamics & the relationship will grow (if both sides invest in it)
#2. Provide resources & help others.
- What can you do for others?
- Get Involved & give more than you take
#3. Lead yourself forward. Jeremiah O calls it paying yourself forward.
- Invest in yourself – never stop learning, reading & growing
- People will respond & mentor you
#4. Engage in partnerships & collaborations
- No one can afford to stand alone. Collaborations offer new opportunities.
#5. Interweave & connect with others & reflect on your network
- Uplift them when they need it & they will do so back.
- Provide value
What are your best suggestions for networking? Do you disagree with any of mine?