Like that question has never been answered before! So why am I addressing it? Well, someone asked my opinion & after coming up with 5 steps & prioritizing them I thought the process should be shared.
Here is my advice for starting a blog along with some resources to get you started.
- Who are you & what makes you memorable? I have my photo…
- What is your message? You may not have your voice yet, but that’s ok.
2. Choose a theme & someone to build it if you’re technically challenged like me
- Find a theme that reflects your personality
- SEO is huge & widget-ready will make it fun for you
- Google Analytics & Feedburner are important
- choose a blogging platform that is user friendly
- I really like WordPress & my sister builds great blogs
3. Start writing and find your voice
- I don’t believe you need content in advance because I’ve started 3 – cold
- After 2-3 months you’ll be comfortable & will have found your voice
- During this time read & post comments on other’s blogs
- ‘Gently’ link to your relevant blog posts.
4. Go thru your posts & redo the categories at 3 months or so
- Now that you have your voice, you’ll know what you’re writing about!
- Categorize them for your readers please (it’s the librarian coming out in me)
5. Be consistent in your posting & grow your blog
- Check your stat’s & interpret them
- What searches are hitting your blog?
- Follow links back (using Technorati) and thank them for linking to you
Bonus idea – I did say 5 up there.
6. Repurpose questions that people ask or that you see multiple times.
- If one or a few people have them, then chances are the lurkers do too (which is 95% or so people).
What did I miss? It should be a fun process. If it’s work you probably won’t do it (please don’t contribute to the massive number of abandoned blogs). It will take effort, but it will be rewarding! enjoy!
Blogging gets easier with time. After awhile the self conscious feeling fades & it becomes more natural. Give yourself time to grow with it!