Blog commenting is probably one of the easier things to accomplish when I’m traveling. I’m using Jeremiah Owyang‘s tip of having blog ideas created in advance.
In my first post I listed my methodology for starting or rebuilding a blog. I’ve used it twice. There’s an aspect that’s more important than that & it bears repeating:
“It’s not all about you & your blog!
There is a much bigger world out there & you are but one voice, so you need to join the collective:
1. read other people’s blogs & comment – use a blog reader
- get involved & ask questions
- provide value & insight for them based on their writing & encourage them to grow
2. respond to their post on your blog if if your response is too long for a comment
- make sure that you reference the original post & use their static link (people appreciate the link love)
- this introduces your readers to a blog that you enjoy (a form of sharing your friend’s blog)
- sometimes it’s wise to wait a day or so if it’s an emotional response – maybe pretend that you’re writing to your boss?
3. comment on blogs that reference you & your writing
- use Google alerts & Technorati to see who’s writing about you & your blog
- follow those links & respond to the conversation
- it’s a great way to build brand
- allow trackbacks & follow them
4. show appreciation for the sharing of knowledge by your network
- utilize a variety of formats – Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc
- remember that it’s a group effort & we can do more together!
What ideas do you have for commenting on blogs? Have you gotten to know people through their blogs? Share your experiences.